Topik Utama

Thursday, January 5, 2012

What makes a good Ustaz?

Assalamualaikum Wbt.
And Happy New (Secular) Year. Haha!

I began this year with a post touching on the issue of religious leaders/preachers, namely "ulama.". Lately, there are tons of post cropping up all over the blogosphere about religious preachers--who's in and who's out, who's good and who's not. Personally, when I'm talking of ulama' and ustaz, particularly on Youtube, blogs or magazines, there are a few that I'm a personal fan of. And of course, there are a few that I don't. I'm not gonna drop names of either one--as I feel it's more of a personal choice.


Now what makes a good preacher? At least to me, here are my requirements (cheh, requirement pula) when I choose a good preacher to listen to:

  1. Good Educational Background-Particularly higher education such as Al Azhar would be on top of my preference. However, other famous Islamic schools and universities will do, like UIA or even Madrasah Dakwah. Now don't get me wrong--I'm not sidelining other scholars who can't afford a good education--but I feel there are certain things that you can't teach yourself. Did you know some religious institution offers "dakwah method" courses? With education, people become more systematic and organized. And so is dakwah, when taught properly.

    Also--there are exception to this rule--for scholars without higher insitutional background, they must at least posses a long, detailed list of credible teachers --credible muftis, perawi, ulama', religious leaders. Good teachers with good reputation will almost certainly churn out equally good scholars!

  2. Tone of speaking-yes, this is a personal opinion. There are lots of ulama' out there with various methods of preaching--some are soft, some are harsh, some are uplifting, and some seem perpetually angry. For me, I prefer the polite, soft spoken, but serious type and yes, for both male and female. Why? because harsh, loud sermons may lift up the spirit, but it takes us to the state of agitation. We become excited, anxious, or maybe even angry. I'd rather the feeling of calm and uplifting when I end a session. And that is Islam is it--it should be as peaceful as the name suggests.

    Also, another no-no is the use of rude words, or words that demean people. You know, fat jokes, racial jokes, slurs, and some pseudo-cuss words like "Dumb" or "Stupid". No, don't worry, I'm sure there's another way to talk about the Israelian issue without cussing over the Jews...

  3. Topic usually covered-Each ulama' have their own "specialty" topic that they cover (although most of the do cover wide range of issues). For example Ustaz Zaharuddin cover Islamic Economy Issues, while Ustaz Kazim Elias cover social issues. I'm allright with most issues the cover (especially those that are not redundant) But--the issue that is a total NO-NO to me is personal issue. Where an issue would be bought up of a certain person about a certain doing, either directly or indirectly.

    For me, I believe in the statement "hate the sin not hate the sinner". Yes he had sinned, but he may have been repenting today, right now, or five seconds ago. Also, would it be right to talk about people in a mosque setting? Sure talking about people garners more attention than say, talk about life after death, but it only gets as much hype as a Melodi episode. (Oops!) If they wanna talk about behavior, I expect them to talk about it generally, without dropping names.

  4. Accessibility of references-Well, it's the most important actually, but I have been forgetting about it so I put it in last! Anyway, this is important particularly when we talk about ulama' that writes in blogs or articles in newspapers. They need to cite their references. If university students are taught to include references for fear of mark deduction, ulama' should include reference for fear of damaging credibility!

    I mean, there are cases of ulama' that gives "strange" fatwa or hukm and not giving any citation of it, just saying "I hear it from there and there". and wha-la! when we do a little search it was proven otherwise. I know, I know, if they cite the whole hadith and its perawi it'll be too long for a 6x4 column, but at least there's a footnote to guide readers to another book or website! Also remember, if the fact pops up several times in other articles or website, does not mean they are credible :3

So I guess that's all from me. Mind you, this is just my opinion. I am writing on how I "chose" a good ulama' for me to listen. You may have other opinions too. Don't hesitate to write in your own. So till then, Jazakallahu khairan khatira, assalamualaikum w.b.t!

No comments:

Post a Comment